The top ten contemporary jazz recordings from the week of Feb. 13, 1994!
- David Benoit and Russ Freeman, The Benoit/Freeman Project
- Nelson Rangell, Yes Then Yes
- Tom Scott, Reed My Lips
- Richard Smith, From My Window
- Torcuato Mariano, Paradise Station
- Marcus Miller, The Sun Don’t Lie
- Yellowjackets, Run for Your Life
- Fourplay, Between the Sheets
- Gary Burton/Rebecca Parris, It’s Another Day
- Charles Michael Brotman, Pacific Rendezvous
Though it’s been a while since I considered myself a fan of the Rippingtons, I have always remained interested in the Russ Freeman project. Tourist in Paradise was my first love of contemporary jazz and you never forget your first love.
Built to Last is the new recording by the Rippingtons. Here’s what I’ve gathered about it:
- It will be released on August 28.
- It took 15 months to write and record.
- The first single is “Cougars and Gigolos.”
- The are 16 tracks on the recording, including four orchestral renditions and a classical guitar reprise of the title track.
- Former Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Zakk Wylde is featured on the track “Monument/Monolith.”
- iTunes offers a “deluxe edition” with a bonus track and digital booklet.
- Bill Mayer contributes yet another outstanding jazz cat illustration for the cover.
- The range of music goes from “orchestrated, widescreen epics, to lyrical, smooth ballads, and high energy, progressive jazz-rock.”
Sources: Rippingtons official site, Amazon
Shannon West recently interviewed Rippingtons main man Russ Freeman at the SmoothViews site. Check out Freeman’s thoughts on composing, painting, balancing new songs with the classics when touring, what may be his favorite saxophone performance on a Rippingtons recording, and more. Shannon also reviewed the new Rippingtons recording Modern Art, saying “these are tight, short, melodic songs that give the musicians a lot of room to breathe and take some fascinating twists and turns along the way.”
I posted samples of two tracks from Modern Art last month. Check out that Try It Out Tuesdays post!