Happy Anniversary to the label that introduced me to so many great artists. It was On the Cutting Edge GRP Sampler way back in 1989 or so that helped get me hooked on contemporary jazz. Nice to see Verve recognize the greatest contemporary jazz label ever with a new compilation.
George Benson is one of the 70 top-notch guitarists interviewed for My First Guitar, a new book by Julia Crowe. The musicians share memories of the first time they picked up the instrument, including the challenges and successes. I can just image the smiles on some of those guys faces when they were reminiscing.
Sounds I’d expect from LTJ Bukem’s great label!
Though it’s been a while since I considered myself a fan of the Rippingtons, I have always remained interested in the Russ Freeman project. Tourist in Paradise was my first love of contemporary jazz and you never forget your first love.
Built to Last is the new recording by the Rippingtons. Here’s what I’ve gathered about it:
- It will be released on August 28.
- It took 15 months to write and record.
- The first single is “Cougars and Gigolos.”
- The are 16 tracks on the recording, including four orchestral renditions and a classical guitar reprise of the title track.
- Former Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Zakk Wylde is featured on the track “Monument/Monolith.”
- iTunes offers a “deluxe edition” with a bonus track and digital booklet.
- Bill Mayer contributes yet another outstanding jazz cat illustration for the cover.
- The range of music goes from “orchestrated, widescreen epics, to lyrical, smooth ballads, and high energy, progressive jazz-rock.”