I’ve posted over 500 tweets of contemporary jazz news, release dates, and site information on Twitter in the last few months. It’s how I communicate quick contemporary jazz items of interest. In today’s quick-moving world, this is how I get most of my information – through brief, one-sentence notifications. Later, I can go back and read more about something or compose a blog post. Follow my tomorrowjazz tweets on Twitter!
I keep a list of my most recent tweets here on the site, but here are some items you might have missed.
- Smooth jazz takes another blow as The Weather Channel replaces it with classic rock for Weather on the 8’s.
- Miroslav Vitous’ new CD honors Weather Report http://is.gd/1oYMf
- New release from jazz pianist Eldar coming August 25. Called Virtue, it has guests Nicholas Payton and Joshua Redman.
- Pandora and three others might be ok but that doesn’t mean it’s smooth sailing Internet radio. http://is.gd/1sYhv
- Mike Stern’s Big Neighborhood out 8/11 w/ Dave Weckl, MMW, Steve Vai, Esperanza Spalding, Eric Johnson, Terri Lyne Carrington, and more.
- B.B. King calls George Benson “the best guitarist in the world in all kinds of music.” http://is.gd/1yQhp
- One of today’s greatest jazz composers, Terence Blanchard, releases Choices on August 18th. Recorded in New Orleans. http://is.gd/1zHt7
- Chuck Owen & The Jazz Surge release The Comet’s Tail: Playing The Compositions of Michael Brecker on 8/11 w/guest stars. http://is.gd/1AYmC
- Pat Metheny writes about his upcoming “orchestrionics” recording. It’s going to be interesting. http://is.gd/1L7tI
- Far Out Recordings-Brazilian Music Sampler Free at Amazon MP3 Store. With Marcos Valle, Joyce, Azymuth, Sabrina Malheiros. http://bacn.me/9ja
- Didn’t know Larry Carlton was joining Steely Dan on six dates during their current tour.
You’ve read a bit about it and heard cuts from it. Now you can win your own copy of the new live recording by the Gary Burton Quartet (Burton, Pat Metheny, Steve Swallow, and Antonio Sanchez)! I’ve got three CDs to give away. Just post a comment below! Don’t forget to include an email address for me to contact you for a mailing address if you’re a winner. This contest
ends ended June 5. Good luck!
In the early 1970s, the Gary Burton Quartet, which included bassist Steve Swallow, added a 19-year old guitarist to the group. His name was Pat Metheny. Those three gentlemen reunited a couple of years ago, along with drummer Antonio Sanchez, and one of their performances was recorded for the release out today. Quartet Live! is four all-star musicians playing compositions by Metheny, Swallow, Burton, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Carla Bley, and Duke Ellington. It goes without saying that this is good music.
Check out a couple of tracks from it (Windows Media Player required):
I have copies of this worthy release to give away. Keep your eyes on the site or Twitter for details soon!
Poogie Bell Band – Get on the Kit |
Jim Beard w/ Vince Mendoza – Revolutions
Incognito – Live in Jakarta DVD
Return To Forever – Live at Montreux 2008 DVD / Blu-ray
Stanley Clarke Trio w/ Hiromi and Lenny White – Jazz in the Garden |
Candy Dulfer – Funked Up! |
Charnett Moffett (feat. Will Calhoun) – The Art of Improvisation